Terms of Service for Account Registration
General Rules (Definitions)
The term “Account Registration” of the Tokyo Media Center official website (hereinafter “Service”) refers to online information services provided by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government via the official website of the Tokyo Media Center.
Name: Registered Website User
- The term “registered website user” (hereinafter “User” or “Users”) refers to a person who has registered with the Service in a manner established by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.
- Users may receive the Service.
- Upon registration, each User must accept these “Terms of Service for Account Registration” (hereinafter “TOS”). By using the Service, the User agrees to the TOS.
- Minors under the age of 16 who wish to register to use this site must obtain consent from a legal guardian.
Tokyo Media Center Management Office
- Contents of email:
- Title: Account Registration for Minors (Under 16 Years Old)
- Body: I [A] am the legal guardian of [B] (minor under the age of 16). The following details are accurate to [B], who agrees to the Tokyo Media Center’s Terms of Service for Account Registration.
- Email address of the person (minor) who desires to register to use this site
- The full name of [B]
- Affiliated organization (e.g. school)
- Interest in our email magazine subscription
Note: Copy the email template above, then enter the full name of the legal guardian for [A] and the full name of the minor (under the age of 16) who wishes to register to use this site for [B]. Please fill in all the necessary information.
If you send in an email with the above information, the management office will take care of the registration on behalf of the minor.
When the registration is complete, a confirmation email will be sent to the email address of the person (minor) who wishes to register to use this site.
Email Addresses and Passwords
- Each User must register an email address and password. However, the Service may not be available if the Tokyo Metropolitan Government determines that the User falls under any of the “Prohibited Matters” set forth in another section.
- Each User must not transfer or lend the registered email address and password to any third party.
- Each User is responsible for the management and use of their registered email address and password. The Tokyo Metropolitan Government shall not be liable for any User errors or unauthorized use by third parties.
The Service aims to support news gathering activities of domestic and foreign media during the Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020 and provide them with information related to the Tokyo 2020 Games and its host city Tokyo.
Secretariat (Operating Entity)
- The Tokyo Metropolitan Government will set up the Tokyo Media Center management office (hereinafter “the Secretariat”) to carry out the administration of the Service.
- The Tokyo Metropolitan Government will outsource the operations of the Secretariat. The consigned business operator shall have the authority of a representative of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government for the performance of all provisions set forth in this TOS.
- The Secretariat shall be located in the offices of the consigned business operator.
The Service includes the following:
- Provision of various information via the web and SNS, etc.
- Provision of regular information via email magazine.
The Service is scheduled to be provided until December 2020.
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government and the Secretariat may change the contents of the Service without the Users’ prior consent.
- If a person who desires to use the Service fills out the “Account Registration Form” on the website, a notification of the account registration form will be sent to the registered email address.
- After accessing the website’s registration page through the URL provided in the notification email, the User will be solely responsible for completing the application process by providing all the required information and agreeing to the TOS by pressing the “I agree to the Terms of Service for account registration” button.
- After completing the application process, the registered email address will be notified of the completion of the account registration.
Change of Registered Email Address and Cancellation of Email Magazine Subscription
- Once a User has registered their email address, they cannot change it. If they wish to change their registered email address, they have to use the Account Cancellation form to remove it from the database and then register a new “Account Registration” email.
- If you wish to cancel your email magazine subscription, please send a message to the Tokyo Media Center management office at email@example.com stating “Request for Cancellation of Email Magazine Subscription.” Please make sure that the message is sent from the email address which you want to remove from our email magazine subscription list. The Secretariat will then cancel your subscription.
Duration of Membership
There is no set term of validity for the Service’s account registration period, but that may change without notice due to the “Change of Service” provision set forth in a separate section.
- Each User shall permit the Tokyo Metropolitan Government to use the information provided by said User pursuant to the purpose of the Tokyo Media Center’s operations and services (e.g. email magazine subscriptions).
- The Tokyo Metropolitan Government may create statistical data that is processed so that each individual cannot be identified based on the personal information provided. The Tokyo Metropolitan Government may use such statistical data that cannot identify individuals without any restrictions (such use includes but is not limited to various proposals, reports, and studies relating to the development of new services by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government). In this case, the ownership of all copyrights and other rights shall belong to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.
- The Tokyo Metropolitan Government shall not use or disclose personal information such as any User’s name beyond the stated purpose of the Service without just cause. The Tokyo Metropolitan Government may, and each User shall permit the Tokyo Metropolitan Government to do so, to outsource the creation of the statistical data set forth in the preceding paragraph to a third party.
- Each User is prohibited from transferring or lending their registered email address and password to third parties.
- The management of the registered email address and password shall be the responsibility of the User. The Tokyo Metropolitan Government does not assume any responsibility for any damage that may arise due to usage of the Service or the acts of third parties.
- Users may cancel their account registration at any time.
- After account registration, in the case of multiple non-delivery to the registered email address, the User’s account registration may be deleted without prior notification.
- In the event of intellectual property possibly being generated by activities within the Service, the ownership thereof will be clarified in writing between the parties.
Operating Entity’s Responsibility
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government or the Secretariat shall not be liable for any damages arising from the use of the Service unless such damages are caused due to the fault or negligence attributable to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government or the Secretariat. Even if the Tokyo Metropolitan Government or the Secretariat is liable for such damages, the liability shall be limited to direct and normal damages, unless there is any willful act or gross negligence on the part of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government or the Secretariat.
Resolution of Disputes
In the event of a dispute with a third party due to the use of the Service, the costs and the responsibility of resolving it shall lie with the User.
Change of Service
The Service may be changed or suspended without prior notice to Users due to equipment maintenance, natural disasters, and other reasons.
Bearing of Costs by Users
The cost of procurement of equipment necessary for using the Service, as well as the communication costs, shall be borne by Users.
Ownership of Rights
The ownership of any intellectual property rights and other rights related to all programs, software, designs, screen information, trademarks, logos, and other items that make up the content and services of the Tokyo Media Center official website shall belong to the person or entity licensed by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government or third-party information providers.
Each User shall abstain from the following acts:
- Acts that infringe on copyrights, portrait rights, or other intellectual property rights of other Users, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, or third parties;
- Acts that infringe on the property, trust, honor, privacy, or other rights or interests of other Users, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, or third parties;
- Acts of discrimination, criticism, attacks, or slander against other Users, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, or third parties;
- Acts that hinder or potentially hinder the operation of the Service;
- Acts that impede or inflict losses on the work of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and the Secretariat;
- Political, electoral, or religious activities within the Service;
- Providing false information to use the Service;
- Criminal acts, acts that violate public order and morals, and other acts that violate laws and regulations.
The Users accept that the Tokyo Metropolitan Government may stop providing the Service without notifying the User in advance if it has been determined that the User has violated this TOS or exhibited behavior unsuited to that of a registered website user.
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government shall not be liable for any troubles or damages caused by the use of the Service.
Compensation for Damages
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government shall not be liable for any damages to the User caused by the use, modification, interruption, or cancellation of the Service.
In addition, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government shall not be liable for any damages incurred by a User or third party due to the use of the Service and shall not be held accountable for compensation for such damages.
Suspension of Use (End of Service)
- The Tokyo Metropolitan Government may terminate the Service by notifying the User in advance.
- The Tokyo Metropolitan Government shall be exempted from any liability associated with no longer providing the Service by following the procedures laid out in the preceding paragraphs.
The handling of personal information shall be pursuant to the “Personal Information Protection Policy,” defined separately.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
The interpretation and application of this TOS shall be governed by the laws of Japan unless otherwise defined. The Tokyo District Court shall be the exclusive court of jurisdiction for the first instance for disputes between the operating entity and Users arising from and related to this TOS.
Change of TOS
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government may change the TOS without prior notice. Details of the changes will be posted on this site. After such a posting, if the User uses the Service, the User is deemed to have accepted this change. Users who refuse the change shall cancel their account registration.
- Supplementary provisions
- This TOS will come into effect on September 27, 2019.
- Enactment and revision history
- Enacted on September 27, 2019 [First Version]